History

Faculty of Human Life Science

Osaka City University is a public comprehensive university, established from April, 1949 as part of the postwar educational reforms from the merger of Osaka University of Commerce, the Osaka University of Commerce Preparatory Course, the Osaka University of Commerce Higher Commercial Department, the Municipal Miyakojima Engineering College, the Municipal Women’s Academy College, and the Municipal Medical University (from the 1955 academic year). Its aim is to carry out highly specialized research with a focus on academic research in Osaka, as well as to provide a high level of academic education and foster character growth.

The history of the faculty is shown below.

April 1921 Founded as Osaka City Nishi Ward High School Women’s College.
April 1924 Name changed to Osaka Municipal Higher Seika Women’s College.
April 1925 Three-year Department of Higher Home Economics course established.
March 1941 Name changed to Osaka Municipal Seika Higher Women’s College, Department of Higher Home Economics name changed to Specialist Department.
March 1947 Osaka Municipal Women’s Academy College established, Specialist Department abolished.
April 1949 Becomes the Faculty of Home Economics at Osaka Municipal University as part of the postwar school system reforms, with new Food Science, Clothing, Housing, Children, and Social Welfare departments.
April 1968 Department of Home Economics split up into the departments of Food Science, Clothing, Housing, Children, and Social Welfare.
April 1975 Faculty of Home Economics name changed to Faculty of Human Life Science.
April 1990 The five departments reorganized into three: Food and Nutrition, Housing and Environment Science, Human Development and Welfare.
April 2000 Department of Housing and Environment Science name changed to Department of Housing and Environmental Design.
Graduate School of Human Life Science

The history of the Graduate School is as follows.

April 1953 Master’s Course in the Graduate School of Home Economics established, Department of Food and Nutritional Science established.
April 1956 Added Department of Clothing, Master’s Course.
April 1959 Added Department of Social Welfare, Master’s Course.
April 1964 Added Department of Children, Master’s Course.
April 1969 Added Department of Housing, Master’s Course.
April 1975 Doctoral Course in Human Life Science established, departments in Nutrition and Health Science, Life and Environmental Science, and Life and Social Welfare Science established.
March 1977 Graduate School of Home Economics abolished.
April 1991 Names of departments changed to Food and Nutrition, Life and Environmental Science, and Human Welfare Science.
April 2000 Three departments merged and reorganized to form the Department of Human Life Science. Seven courses established in department: Food and Human Health, Housing and Environmental Design, General Social Services, Clinical Psychology, Longevity Society Dietary Science, Housing and Welfare Engineering, and Longevity Social Welfare Science.
April 2006 Osaka City University corporatized.
April 2010 Human Life Science Joint Research Center established.
April 2011 Reorganized into three lectures (Food and Human Health, Housing and Environmental Design, General Social Services and Clinical Psychology) of four courses (Food and Human Health, Housing and Environmental Design, General Social Services, Clinical Psychology).